It appears that Class AA Southern League team Pensacola is searching for a new team name:
The six finalists for the moniker of the new Pensacola team in the Class AA Southern League, slated to begin play in 2013, have been announced by the franchise, as the best of 1,700 finalists are unveiled.
The finalists, in alphabetical order:
- Aviators. Home of the “The Cradle of Naval Aviation,” Pensacola is the primary training base for America’s Navy, Marine and Coast Guard aviators, as well as the Navy’s precision-flying team, the Blue Angels.
- Blue Wahoos. Named for the explosive way they pull out of the water, Wahoos are a tough hometown fish that means business.
- Loggerheads. Found in Pensacola’s shallow waters, the loggerhead sea turtle is a local endangered species. Known for its nesting on Pensacola beaches, the loggerhead is state saltwater reptile of Florida.
- Mullets. Double meaning here: the haircut and one of Pensacola’s most popular fish.
- Redbones. This ties into the upcoming affiliation with the Cincinnati Reds.
- Salty Dogs. Another naval reference, this time to expert sailors.
Some great names to be sure. I’m a little surprised there are no names with pirates in them. Arrrrrgh! You would think it would be logical as well!