OK, let’s get the formalities out of the way: St. Paul climbs out of early hole to beat Grand Prairie in 11.
The good news is that the Grand Prairie AirHogs are in first place in their division. They had just come back from a road trip and a 9 game winning streak. That’s the baseball side of things. The entertainment side of the game is equally as important.
Watching great baseball is fun. But let’s face it, we fans like to eat at ball games right? We also want to have fun at ball games as well. I’m just saying, for the money, I don’t know how to beat a fun night at QuikTrip Park in Grand Prairie.
AirHog player Greg Porter's wife Morgan, and their baby Dash, along with Ace Bacon and me
What lots of folks don’t realize is this is a business, like everything else. There are players out there that are real people, with real families, along with real dreams and desires, just like you and me. I get the feeling sometimes that because baseball is a game, that we fans don’t stop to consider that this isn’t a serious proposition for these players. If they (the players) don’t produce, they could be sent elsewhere. That’s not a knock on the AirHogs, that’s sports in general. I go to many ballgames in a season, and I see how much the players give of themselves.
And you know who else gives a lot of themselves at ball games? The staff and contractors at ball games. Watch this.
You see this young lady here in the video?
She’s an intern for the AirHogs. That means she doesn’t get paid directly from the organization. She is working on her Master’s degree from a local college, and gets educational credit for her volunteer work.
There are so many people involved to put this grand show on night after night. You might think this would take lots of money to go see a game right? Look at this.
Sooooooo much for sooooo little.
So let’s recap here.
1. A quality baseball team that is in first place in their division.
2. A beautiful ball park that is in the shade when game time rolls around. Did I mention there is a swimming pool in center field? (It’s called Porter’s Pool because Greg Porter was the first player to hit a home run in the pool).
3. Just about any kind of food and drink you need. Yes, a beer and a dog is standard here. Peanuts and cotton candy too.
4. Great entertainment between innings.
5. A beautiful Field of Dreams to watch the great game.
6. Make memories.
Yes, there is a lot more to a baseball game than just baseball. There are tons of things else.
Do yourselves a big favor. Come out and watch some baseball.